2024 Rivian R1T vs. 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro (with GFC Campers)

rustytaco

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it's a crazy comparison... and maybe not! Head to head... Fully loaded 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro or Fully loaded 2024 Rivian R1T? Both are running a GFC camper. Both in white. Man! This is kind of a hard choice... at least on a super surface level.

Which overland setup is supreme?!

RIVIAN R1T WITH GFC.webp

TRD PRO TACOMA WITH GFC.jpg

Man that's a tough one but it's pretty simple at the end of the day. It really comes down to how far you intend to drive your vehicle.

Tacoma TRD Pro: You can't beat its proven reliability, off-road capabilities, ability to modify and long-distance capability. It's built for everything and anything - and with the GFC camper, you can tackle long trips comfortably. The aftermarket support for Tacomas is huge, so if you're looking to customize or upgrade, you've got tons of options.

Rivian R1T: On the other hand, the R1T offers cutting-edge tech, is extremely luxurious, and has a fully electric powertrain - still yet to be proven for extreme remote destination adventure. It's great for eco-conscious adventurers but not so great for the person looking to tackle far out locations with little infrastructure support for charging. The electric torque can be a game-changer off-road, but it does limit you (mentioned in GFC YouTube video).

Ultimately, if you're leaning towards traditional overlanding with a tried-and-true platform, the Tacoma might edge out. But if you’re excited about innovation and want a unique experience, the R1T is a fantastic choice. It really boils down to your personal adventure style! Which aspects are most important to you?

A couple of good videos to watch on the R1T with and without the GFC:

With the GFC:

Last edited:
If money were no object, the Rivian R1T is clearly the superior platform for a truck bed camper over the 2024 Tacoma.

Firstly, the tech in the R1T is miles beyond Tacoma - even with the updated tech Toyota just gave it. Then there's the power: the Rivian’s quad motor pushes over 1,000 ft-lbs of torque, while the Tacoma maxes out at just 450 ft-lbs with the iForce Max. That torque in the R1T can easily handle steep grades with heavy loads, making it the better choice for a heavy payload. Tacoma has never been known for its payload. The GVWR of the 2024 Tacoma is around 6,000 lbs, while the R1T comes in at 8,500 lbs.

While I haven't had the chance to test drive the iForce Max Tacoma, it’s hard to ignore the Rivian's performance advantages on paper, especially when it comes to handling the weight of a camper and a loaded bed of gear. For the guys looking for the most power, the best tech, the better GVWR, and payload - the R1T is the clear winner. By a long shot.

Recent

I recently purchased a Rivian R1S and have...
If you’re coming from the EV world it’s...
I was super pumped (haha) to have the onboard...
Because these vehicles are scotch guarded...
So I had a Tesla before the Rivian R1S and a...
On my 4th day of owning my Rivian R1S, I kid...
If you're ever in the area and have some free...
Not sure if anyone else knows this hack, but...
General Ground Clearance Just got back from...
I picked up a sunshade for the big glass roof...
This trail is relatively easy but there are a...
Back