Staff member
Reaction score
YouTube
Visit YouTube
IG Page
Visit Instagram
Rivian
2025 R1S DMPL
I wanted to give a heads-up about a possible issue with the Rivian R1S's 12V battery that you might want to be aware of.

I recently heard from another owner who experienced a significant battery drain to the point where the vehicle would not run, or charge. They attempted to use the jump kit, but it failed to revive the 12V system. The only way to recharge this battery is through a level two charger. Unfortunately, Rivian's suggested solution was to tow the vehicle to their service center for assistance.

This isn't something I’ve encountered personally, but the 12V battery issue seems to arise primarily during extended periods of inactivity. The 12V system supports essential functions, including locking mechanisms and the vehicle’s electronics, and can deplete over time, especially if the vehicle isn't plugged in. Think of it this way, the main high voltage battery is 400 volts. You can't run a touch screen on 400v, or the speakers, etc. So anything that normally came in a car before EV, is run by the 12v batteries.

To mitigate this risk, I recommend keeping the vehicle plugged into a charger if you plan to leave it parked for extended periods. This ensures the 12V battery remains charged and operational, preventing any unexpected issues when you return.

Just wanted to share this info so you can stay ahead of any potential problems.

Recent

I recently purchased a Rivian R1S and have...
If you’re coming from the EV world it’s...
I was super pumped (haha) to have the onboard...
Because these vehicles are scotch guarded...
So I had a Tesla before the Rivian R1S and a...
On my 4th day of owning my Rivian R1S, I kid...
If you're ever in the area and have some free...
Not sure if anyone else knows this hack, but...
General Ground Clearance Just got back from...
I picked up a sunshade for the big glass roof...
This trail is relatively easy but there are a...
Back