YouTube
Visit YouTube
IG Page
Visit Instagram
Rivian
2025 R1S DMPL

General Ground Clearance

Rivian_R1s_MTB_Off_Road_38.jpg

Just got back from testing the ground clearance on my R1S at the lake for the first time, and I’ve gotta say, I’m super impressed!

Rocker Panel Clearance​

Rivian_R1s_MTB_Off_Road_13.jpg

I switched into All Terrain mode and set the ground clearance to the highest level. I dropped off this little 18" rut, and I still had about 4-5" of clearance at the rocker panels. That’s pretty impressive compared to a ton of stock vehicles out there like the 4Runner/Tacoma. I've owned many 4Runners and Tacomas in the past the ground clearance on a stock rig is pretty bad. So much so that I put portal axles on my recent 4Runner. Having this much ground clearance on the R1S is really impressive.

Departure Angle​

Rivian_R1s_MTB_Off_Road_20.jpg

Now, let’s talk about the departure angle. I was a bit worried as I looked back at the rear tire, thinking the bumper might hit the dirt. But nope! It cleared. The departure angle is surprisingly good, and it makes me feel like I can tackle some mild terrain. I have yet to climb steep hills in this thing so we'll see how it does on future tests but for the first day out, the ground clearance and departure angle is not that bad when at full ride height.

Overall, the clearance is impressive all the way around. That said, we definitely need rock sliders for extra protection on more moderate rocky trails.

It looks massive in that first picture! Ground clearance is for sure key. How is the ride when it sits that high? Is it all air suspension? Does it have to be in a specific mode to use, or will it stop working past a certain speed? I think some of the Landcruisers did that.

We need to put together a post for portal axles on 4Runner vs. Rivian ground clearance test.

4Runner has it beat at 18" in the front and 16" in the rear but the ground clearance is impressive on the Rivian sitting at 14".

Would love to see some photos of your portal ground clearance vs Rivian ground clearance and then talk about the difference in ride quality as well. 😁

Curois to know what everyone airs down to when trailing? I know it depends on the terrain but just a general ballpark number would be good. This is my first vehicle with huge 20" wheels, compared to my Subaru with 15" wheels and wild peaks.

Curois to know what everyone airs down to when trailing? I know it depends on the terrain but just a general ballpark number would be good. This is my first vehicle with huge 20" wheels, compared to my Subaru with 15" wheels and wild peaks.

I'm in the same boat man - I haven't even aired down yet. Debating on staying on 20" tires or going down to 18" so I can drop a little lower. I'd like to go with 18s but my girl is also looking for the best range possible so we may stay on 20s. I would think going down to 18-20psi on 20" tires would be plenty of traction for what we're all doing in a Rivian. Not like we're out tackling gnarly rock gardens that justify 8-10psi. lol

I'm in the same boat man - I haven't even aired down yet. Debating on staying on 20" tires or going down to 18" so I can drop a little lower. I'd like to go with 18s but my girl is also looking for the best range possible so we may stay on 20s. I would think going down to 18-20psi on 20" tires would be plenty of traction for what we're all doing in a Rivian. Not like we're out tackling gnarly rock gardens that justify 8-10psi. lol
I didn't think you could go down to 18" wheels because of the front rotors being so big.

Recent

I recently purchased a Rivian R1S and have...
If you’re coming from the EV world it’s...
I was super pumped (haha) to have the onboard...
Because these vehicles are scotch guarded...
So I had a Tesla before the Rivian R1S and a...
On my 4th day of owning my Rivian R1S, I kid...
If you're ever in the area and have some free...
Not sure if anyone else knows this hack, but...
General Ground Clearance Just got back from...
I picked up a sunshade for the big glass roof...
This trail is relatively easy but there are a...
Back