R1S Air compressor Hot Fittings - Nothing cool about this!

JC Greene

Reaction score
Rivian
2025 Rivian R1S Limestone/Ocean Mist
I was super pumped (haha) to have the onboard air compressor.

My daughter and I went to a bday party and they didn’t have an air compressor.

I blew up the rafts and it was super convenient and relatively easy to connect. The PSI was adjustable and I cranked it up to 30.

The only problem was the disconnect. When I grabbed the nozzle to detach it, it was too hot to touch and I burned my thumb. The tube was nearly as hot as the nozzle.

Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_2098.jpeg
    IMG_2098.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2099.jpeg
    IMG_2099.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4583.jpeg
    IMG_4583.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4582.jpeg
    IMG_4582.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4585.jpeg
    IMG_4585.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2095.jpeg
    IMG_2095.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
The only problem was the disconnect. When I grabbed the nozzle to detach it, it was too hot to touch and I burned my thumb. The tube was nearly as hot as the nozzle.

Yeah that's normal. You should carry a set of gloves with you in the back at all times if you plan to use the air compressor. Air compressor fittings tend to get VERY after even a short period of time.

Yeah that's normal. You should carry a set of gloves with you in the back at all times if you plan to use the air compressor. Air compressor fittings tend to get VERY after even a short period of time.
Thx for that. I think they should put a sticker on there or something. Luckily I had a shop towel in there so I used that to detach it.

On board air is way more clutch than most people know... haha

On board air is way more clutch than most people know... haha
I agree I was super pumped to have it but learned about how compressed air works AFTER I tried to grab it! Hahahha

Also a little bit on packing up your gear after you use it. I think my husband could have man handled the hose back into the bag but below is a short clip on how I got it to fit. I had to basically hand coil it back in the bag. It was kind of annoying but the feature of having onboard air far outweighs the annoying part of putting the hose back.
View attachment IMG_4668.mov

Recent

I recently purchased a Rivian R1S and have...
If you’re coming from the EV world it’s...
I was super pumped (haha) to have the onboard...
Because these vehicles are scotch guarded...
So I had a Tesla before the Rivian R1S and a...
On my 4th day of owning my Rivian R1S, I kid...
If you're ever in the area and have some free...
Not sure if anyone else knows this hack, but...
General Ground Clearance Just got back from...
I picked up a sunshade for the big glass roof...
This trail is relatively easy but there are a...
Back