What's The Best Tire Size for Optimal Performance on Rivian R1S?

• Thread starter Thread starter BG
  • Start date Start date

BG

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
YouTube
Visit YouTube
IG Page
Visit Instagram
Rivian
2025 R1S DMPL
I've only had my R1S for about a week, but I've done a ton of research on tire sizes, and I wanted to share my findings to help anyone else who’s considering their options.

When choosing tires, keep in mind that certain tire designs and tread patterns can create higher rolling resistance, which may affect your vehicle's efficiency and performance.

Here’s what I concluded:
  1. 20” Tires: These offer the greatest range of replacement options at local tire shops and the best availability in case of a flat. If you’re looking for peace of mind on the road, 20" tires are the way to go.
  2. Tread Life: The 20” tires also have the longest average tread life compared to the other sizes. The 21” tires come in as a close second, while the 22” tires tend to wear out the fastest due to their thinner tread lugs and typically softer compound - depending on tread type.
  3. Efficiency: People who switch from all-terrain (AT) tires to all-season (AS) tires of similar sizes (21” and 22”) typically see a minimal difference in overall efficiency—within 2%—compared to the 21” tires.
  4. Construction: The 20” Rivian wheels are the only ones that are flow forged, while the 21” and 22” are cast. This means the 20” wheels are stronger and, considering the cost, they’re a bit of a bargain compared to similar aftermarket options.
  5. Off-Road: 20" wheels are going to offer more sidewall for airing down when compared to 21” and 22” - if you plan on going off-road. If you're really looking to push your limits off-road and air down even further, you may want to consider 18" tires.
Personally, I never considered and never will consider 22” tires because I’m not a fan of the harsher ride, shorter tread life, and the small sidewall. My decision came down to choosing between the 20” tires and possibly 18" tires because there are simply more options.

What's for you?

For most owners out there, I would say 20" all-terrain (AT) tires or all-season (AS) tires will be just fine. Take your pick depending on how aggressive you want to be.

For the off-road-focused drivers out there, 20" all-terrain (AT) tires are great and will suffice, but you will see more traction from an 18" tire. However, with an 18" tire, expect more weight and more resistance which equates to poor performance and ultimately less range.

What tire size are you running and why?

Rivian_R1s_MTB_Off_Road_34.jpg

Recent

I recently purchased a Rivian R1S and have...
If you’re coming from the EV world it’s...
I was super pumped (haha) to have the onboard...
Because these vehicles are scotch guarded...
So I had a Tesla before the Rivian R1S and a...
On my 4th day of owning my Rivian R1S, I kid...
If you're ever in the area and have some free...
Not sure if anyone else knows this hack, but...
General Ground Clearance Just got back from...
I picked up a sunshade for the big glass roof...
This trail is relatively easy but there are a...
Back